60k maintenance

Just finished doing the 60k mile maintenance on my Jetta GLX:
-M1 15w-50
-NGK "R" plugs
-new serpentine belt
-new fuel filter

Just a few notes-

Get the metal plug boot puller. It makes the job ten times easier.

Replacing the belt is a fairly simple job, as many have already indicated.
What's really cool is that you can use one of the three bolts that attach
the tensioner to the block to release the tension.

The fuel filter looked like an easy job. I say "looked" because the bracket
that holds the filter became a real beeee-otch to remove. I also removed the
fuel pump relay and cranked the engine a few turns, but plenty of fuel still
spewed out when I disconnected the fuel line. The resulting fumes actually
calmed my nerves down after the frustration of removing that damn bracket :)

I plan to replace the tranny oil as well (Redline MT90). All in all I'm glad
I saved a few hundred bucks and did the job myself.

Kevin Ng
97 Jetta GLX Windsor Blue