Re: AUDI S4

on 9/9/00 2:46 AM, Bill Hussey at list_squid@hotmail.com wrote:

> Big question to consider is what you will be doing with the car as far as
> high-speed whatever?  Will it see the track?  Autocrosses aren't really that
> tough to set up for, and most cars can be slightly modified and will handle
> an autocross well.  Pick up the latest issue of Hot Rod Magazine, there's an
> article in there about a couple of guys who took a '69 Camaro SS (with
> something like 600HP) and entered it into an autocross.  Not only did they
> win, but they won by a huge margin, the article was titled "Beating the
> Imports at Their Own Game" .. I found it hilarious.
>
> Anyway, if you're going to be doing any track days (and if you get the BMW,
> I highly recommend the BMW CCA, amazing club), the BMW is definately a step
> above the S4.  BMW has a thing with making a solid chassis, my friends '86
> 325e (with the springs, shocks, and swaybars off of an '88 M3) is much more
> communicative at the limit, and much more connected at high speeds, than my
> '98 Jetta has a dream of being.  Feedback in general, is incredible on all
> BMWs (even 740iL's are impressive at the track).  Brakes are always top
> notch, and very communicative, and horsepower is consistantly underrated.
>
> I've had a chance to drive an S4, and came away very impressed.  The boost
> comes on strong and very low in the rev range, but it's obvious this thing
> isn't a V8 if torque is what you're after.  The 2.5/2.8/3.0 inline 6's from
> BMW sing a prettier song than the 2.7LTT Audi, but the Audi can definately
> be kept on the boil if you decide you like short-shifting better than
> revving.  Brakes are top notch as well, but with a salesman in the car, I
> was not able to push the car anywhere near it's limits.  I took one curve at
> slightly elevated speeds and the sales guy had the glove-box open, the
> owners manual out, and was searching the glossary for "O-Shit handle", so
> having fun was out with this guy.
>
> My biggest gripe with the S4, and any Audi for that matter, is that ever
> since the lawsuit eons ago, the one where that lady accidently ran over her
> son because the brake and gas pedal were too close, Audi has moved those two
> pedals far enough apart that heal-and-toe'ing is damn near impossible.  And
> on the track, that's a HUGE disadvantage, and a big decrease in the
> fun-factor.
>
> I give 2 thumbs up for RWD.  There's nothing like hanging the rear end of
> your car out exiting a first or second gear hairpin, and if you haven't
> learned about high-speed rotations yet ... oh boy!  Hehe, they're a ton of
> fun, they eat up tires faster than you can read your credit card number to
> the Tire Rack, but they are balls of fun and can only be accomplished with
> RWD, or a rear-wheel-dominant AWD system like that found on the new 911
> turbos.  The Audi's 50/50 split system favors understeer something terrible
> ... no fun! =)
>
> Bill

FINALLY a decent post from Bill (ie no harsh language)! This is the kind of
message I want to see. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Speaking of the track, I just did another session at Lime Rock today. Fun
fun fun, but I realized something today. The Mk3 Jetta/GTI simply ain't cut
out for racing. Even with H&R coilovers I was plowing, especially in the
rain :)
If I were to choose an affordable track car it would probably be an E30 M3.
Its reputation speaks for itself.

Kevin Ng
97 Jetta GLX Windsor Blue "I want an S4 as a daily driver and an M3 for the
track" edition