Re: The VW Jetta GLX Mailing List Digest V4 #203

>The VW Jetta GLX Mailing List Digest
>  Friday, September 1 2000 Volume 04 : Number 203
>

>In this issue:
>
>	Re:Wheel Cleaner.
>	Re: Lazy Speedo
>	Remove from List - How
>	Re: Remove from List - How
>	Did I ever show you??

>Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 18:01:26 -0400
>From: "Sean M. Brereton" <smb355@optonline.net>
>Subject: Re:Wheel Cleaner.
>
>I have a '95 GLX and run dustless pads by Frictiontech (also called Rotex).
>They are more like 99% dust free as opposed to the Mintex. Other than that,
>I use soap and water when i wash with a cheap acid brush cut down a little.
>Also, you can put some duct tape aroubd the metal on the brush so it does
>not scrape the rim as you use it. Then, every two weeks I use some good
>cleaner/wax with a rag. Just have to do a quick job and it looks great. I
>would not use anything but soap and maybe a light cleaner/wax on the
>polished lip ABT's like Raindance. My Mom's 90 Audi Sport Quattro has the
>polished lip five stars with the Frictiontech pads and they need the
>cleaner way way less than my BBS's. Have fun...
>
>Sean
>DRVR FND
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 18:04:13 -0400
>From: "Sean M. Brereton" <smb355@optonline.net>
>Subject: Re: Lazy Speedo
>
>I had the same problem on my '95 GLX. The dealer tried to fix the pins and
>it made it worse. Finally, we got my aftermarket warranty to cover them and
>I was able to upgrade to the silver/orange needles since they were the same
>price. Warranty really came through on that one. One thing, BTW, now my
>temp needle only reads like a quater when warm, but the black gauges it was
>straight in the middle. Anyone else convert and have the same problem?
>
>Sean
>DRVR FND

>Thanks

>>Thanks
>
>Just wait a few days. You'll be automatically removed from the list
>because the list, as it currently exists, is going away.
>
>IMO, this should be an annual thing. :)
>
>- -Khan
>- --
>
>Khan Klatt                                         khan@mediaaccess.com
>
>- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
>Media Access Internet Solutions, Inc.		      888.750.0777 tel
>http://www.mediaaccess.com			      425.519.3741 fax
>- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 15:56:16 -0700
>From: "George Turner, Jr" <getone@mediaone.net>
>Subject: Did I ever show you??
>
>Did I ever show you guys the little pics I had of my turbo set up??
>If not... here is the link to a couple pics.  they are not the best for you
>to see the detail... but it is something.
>http://people.we.mediaone.net/getone/home.htm
> [...]
Hey Everyone-
  I have been getting this digest for a little over 2 months and
everyone seems really helpful to some of the most inane questions. So
I have one here for anyone who might be willing to give me an answer.
  I have a 95' GLX that is my total pride and joy, even though it has
been hit 2wice in the last year and a half, and I pamper the hell out
of it. Fortunately the damage was minimal both times, that's another
story.
  My question to anyone out there is this. I get this terrible
sulfurous smell emanating from what seems to be the engine
compartment after driving at high speeds and then going into stop and
go traffic. It only seems to happen when the tank is about 3/4 empty.
I have asked 3 different dealerships about this and each one has told
me the same thing....Too rich of a fuel mix. Now, I know that it is
recommended that you use higher octane gasoline for max. performance,
but I thought I'd give this a try. Ran low grade 89 for a month,
still had the problem. Moved up a point in octane, still had the
problem. Put dry gas in tank a couple times thinking maybe....maybe
this would do the trick. Still had that same smell at 1/4 tank after
driving freeway and then city traffic. I have decided that the
dealerships are completely out of their minds and really have no
definitive answer for me, just some sort of hocus-pocus solution. I
still run 94 Ultra as often as possible and it seems to be less of a
problem but I still occasionally catch a whiff of this sulfurous
smell. It's killing me!!! Has anyone ever had this type of problem
with their Jetta out there? Someone mentioned to me that it may have
something to do with the catalytic converter. Is this the case? The
dealerships said no but I don't know what to think anymore.
Thanks in advance.
Frank Miller
1995 GLX
Cincinnati, Ohio