Re: Strut Mounts Need Replacing

In a message dated 10/29/00 5:44:25 PM Central Standard Time,
Sniffner@aol.com writes:

<< My 96 GLX (85,000 miles) has gone through the factory Goodyear tires and
(2)
 sets, that's right (8) Nitto 450 tires.  The treads on the first set of
 Nittos started cupping and consequently were very loud (road noise).  I had
 them replaced, car aligned several times, balanced, rims checked etc....
 After 4500 miles on the second set of Nittos the tires started cupping again
 and now are extremely loud and annoying.  I had the dealer diagnose the
 problem and they said that my strut mounts were loose and needed replacing.

First, let me say that I wouldn't have Nittos on a bet. They suck. BIG. Of
course, YMMV.

If all you're going to do is change the strut bearings, do it yourself. It's
easy, and should take an hour, maybe, to do both sides. Just be sure to
scribe the knuckle around your strut before you remove the bolts, and replace
the strut in exactly the same place, lining up the marks. Shouldn't even need
an alignment afterward.

David Steele
1998 JettaGLX TRed
1988 Jetta Coupe Atlas Gray