Re: oil change woes (THEY'RE BACK!!!)

on 10/4/00 9:04 PM, D.J. Bergesen at achtungvr6@hotmail.com wrote:

> All,
>
> Some of you may recall some time ago I changed my oil and began complaining
> of a rubbing noise (whump-whump) upon start-up. It started on the first
> start up in the garage when I was finished changing the oil and installing
> the Whipple Turn II. Ever since, the noise has occurred upon 96% of AM
> start-ups. About 1 of 30 of those also made the Oil Pressure light come on.
> Every so often I checked the oil level and added a few drops for good
> measure, but without any resolution to the problem.
>
> Today I changed my oil again. I carefully inspected everything under the
> car, and ensured the filter housing and drain plug were nice and snug to
> prevent any pressure loss. The major thing I noticed was oil residue around
> the edge of the sump on the inboard side. The hex bolts around the edge were
> fairly well coated, and the bottom of the sump had some oil residue on it as
> well. I am concerned of a leaking gasket - unfortunately I can't get into
> the GTI site to look at the gasket replacement threads because
> "driver/hired" is not working. The WORST part of this story is that the
> initial start up was accompanied by the same noise, lasting at least TWICE
> as long as before, enough to make the oil pressure light flash FOUR or FIVE
> times!!!!!!!
>
> I am VERY concerned, and I would like some words of advice/reassurance. I
> haven't yet told the car she's leaving next year to make room for an M3, so
> she can't be trying to get back at me...
>
> Please Help.
>
> -DJ

I have the same leaky gasket problem (although not bad enough to justify
replacing), but none of the noise you describe. So I doubt the gasket is the
source of the problem.

If the oil pressure light is blinking practically every time you start the
car, I'd be very concerned. My first guess is that your oil pump is heading
south, but I'd have the car checked out asap.

Kevin Ng
97 Jetta GLX Windsor Blue