Hello List...

Hello List.

I'm about to acquire a 2000 Jetta GLS with the VR6 here in South Carolina.  I was planning on buying new... but a friend is selling me his analy<sp> maintained 2000 with 13,000 miles for $19k (He just invested in a 1988 911 Coupe with 30k miles, the bastard).  Did I get a good deal?  Finding values for 2000 VWs is still a chore... but digging around the net I saw only a handful of 2000 Jetta VR6s around and they were all commanding between $18k to $22k bucks or so.  One bank told me the car was a great deal.... another valued it at ~18,500.  A guy I spoke to at our local dealership (Greenville, SC) told me I had better take the keys and run... b/c I wouldn't see another used Jetta like that for awhile.

This is my first VW ever...  I came to respect the marquee when I got in to Porsches in high school and researched their heritage.  In college, a friend of mine had a Corrado that was really a sweet car.  My mom had a VW bug in the 60s when she was a student - she later rolled the car down a hill during icy weather.  The cops showed up, rocked it over and she drove it home!  So I guess it's natural for me to be interested in VWs...

I've been a Porsche nut every since my first car... a good looking 1988 944 which, despite having been wrecked, cracking the flywheel (to the sum of $1300 - how the hell I did this I'll never know),  having the electrical system catch fire, a burned out transmission, and bending a rim on a curb (totally my fault) was a fantastic car to own during high school.  Recently I've gone through a 1993 Mazda RX7 (I owned it up until two weeks ago... it was a blast... but too expensive, and I knew those turbo's weren't going to last much beyond 60k miles) and I still own my venerable 1988 Grand Wagoneer (bullet proof drive train and great for tailgating).  I pick up the Jetta on Tuesday and I'm really excited.  I love the VR6... its such a fine power plant and it's put together so well.  I was actually considering picking up a used BMW 3 (I was wanting a 95 to 97 or so 328) series when I started checking out the Jetta... the build quality is superb... I think it's the finest car you can buy for the money.

Are there any pressing recall notices or general experiences I should be aware of?  Anyone on the list with a 2k VR6 that's been modded?  Unfortunately I notice the cut off point for a lot of after market stuff is with the 1999 model.  (Same story with my RX7 - 1st and 2nd gen mods out the wahoo... dirt for the 3rd gen.)  What is the big difference between the 99 and 2k VR6?!?

Are there any end-all-be-all Jetta or VR6 web sites out there?  Any places to learn about chips, supercharges, suspension, etc!??

Anyone on the list located in the South East?  Anyone had experience with the VW dealership in Greenville, SC?

I look forward to entering the Jetta ranks and talking with you, the list!

Thanks for any info!

Will @ The GMS

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Revis;Will
FN:Will Revis
NICKNAME:Magnus
ORG:IDS Inc.
TITLE:Interface Team Leader
TEL;WORK;VOICE:864-882-8599
TEL;HOME;VOICE:864-888-2128
TEL;WORK;FAX:864-882-9557
ADR;WORK:;;211 Main St.;Seneca;South Carolina;29678;USA
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:211 Main St.=0D=0ASeneca, South Carolina 29678=0D=0AUSA
X-WAB-GENDER:2
URL:http://www.givemeslack.com
URL:http://www.goidsi.com
BDAY:19760131