Wierd Starting problem on 95

Hey all.
    I have a 95 Jetta VR6, and have been having some starting problems with
it.  Normally it will fire right up, but more and more frequently, I get in
the car to start it, and nothing happens.  The radio will come on, lights,
etc, and will not dim when I turn the switch.  So I push start the car and go
on with my day.  It has been happening more and more frequently, and I would
really like to find out what is causing this.
    I have a small feeling that it could be the tumbler or the ignition
switch, but I really don't know.  This happened on a 90 passat that I used to
have, and I used to have to lay a screwdriver across the starter terminals to
get her going.  It ended up being the tumbler switch ($500 later of course).
    The thing that is plaguing me is that it happens so infrequently.  This
week it has happened 2 times, but before that, it was about once a month at
most.
    Any ideas???

Thanks in advance!
Matt Oberer