Re: 2000 JETTA GLS

No, and No.

The door should be fairly simple to remove (I have a 96 but someone else
should be able to fill you in), and there is no point in the dealer taking
$70 of your money not to even find what you want. Take it off yourself, and
then take your time figuring out what is causing the problem noise. I've
spent at least 6 hours total without my door panels finding obscure noises
that I'm sure the dealer wouldn't have found.

The radar detector is an easy thing to hardwire. If you have little
know-how, it's STILL easy. Go to a parts store, buy a hardwiring kit w/
in-line fuse for $8.00, and spend an hour routing the wire to one of the
fuses that is only active in the ign. posit. (the fuse box is under the
driver's dash on a '96). Then ground the (-) lead and you're done. The wire
will be concealed and you won't have to deal with that awful cigarette
lighter or the cord ever again. It was the first add-on wiring I'd ever
performed (always limited myself to modification of current wires/harnesses
before) and it was very simple, despite my initial reservations.

Dave