Re: The VW Jetta GLX Mailing List Digest V4 #60

<bzzzzzzzzzz> Sorry, you're wrong too, but on a technicality--

215/50-15's have a 10mm wider contact patch, but only a 5mm taller
sidewall-- not 10mm.

Your calculations were almost right (you forgot he was getting 215/50's):
		Stock (205/50-15)	Aftermarket (215/50-15)
Patch Width	205mm			215mm
Sidewall Height	102.5mm			107.5mm
Rim		15 inches		15 inches

Total radius: 7.5 inches, 107.5mm.
Total diameter: 15 inches 215mm.

The primary difference is an increased patch width (marginally better
traction) and increased sidewall height (marginally better ride).

-Khan

At 10:04 AM -0500 03/07/2000, Stewart MacLund wrote:
>     <bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz>  Sorry, wrong answer.  :)
>
>     Yes, the contact patch is 10mm wider.  But the tyre will also be
>10mm taller.
>
>     205/50-15
>
>     205=width of contact patch
>     50=percentage of contact patch that the tyre is tall from the
>rim (eg 205*.50=102.5, which means your total tire height will be
>15" (rims) plus 102.5*2 (top and bottom))
>     15=size of rim.
>
>     http://www.toyo.com/tire_basics/index.html is a good primer on
>how to size your tires.
>
>     Getting back to the original question - will it rub.  I'm
>thinking not.  Usually, you're good for an inch (cause despite
>standardized tire markings, some tire of "the same size" are
>actually taller, or shortr, than
>anothger tire "of the same size")  Also, i've got 195/55R15's
>(pirelli p210a) winters on mine, and they worked out to 3mm taller,
>with no problems.
>
>     The best way is to put them on, and then to bounce the car with
>the wheels turned both ways, and see if there might be some danger
>of rubbing.
>
>Sundie..
>

>Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 08:31:26 -0800
>From: Khan Klatt <khan@mediaaccess.com>
>Subject: Re: 215-50-15 ???
>
>At 10:38 AM -0500 03/06/2000, Naresh H. Singh wrote:
>  >Hey Gang,
>  >
>  >I picked up a set of rims this weekend and they have Continental Contact
>  >215-50-15s mounted on them with lots of thread left. Anyone tried this
>  >size on a non-lowered A3 Jetta? Any rubbing? The guy had them on his G60
>  >Corrado and said it was a tight fit but no rubbing.
>  >
>  >What do you think?
>
>If I've got it right, the only difference between those tires and
>stock tires is the width of the contact patch. Stock tires are 205mm
>wide. Your tires are 215mm wide, or a whole 1cm wider. I can't
>imagine that a tire 1cm wider would come close to rubbing. I'm no
>expert, but you should have no problem.
>
>- -Khan

Khan Klatt                                         khan@mediaaccess.com

Media Access Internet Solutions, Inc.		      888.750.0777 tel
http://www.mediaaccess.com			      425.519.3741 fax