Re: Garrett hits the big time!

Guys,

This is an easy one.  The reason why you don't see much leading edge
products/tuners etc. is that they DON'T advertise in EC.  EC caters
to its advertisers.  Ever notice the clever placement of ads in
relation to a "tech" article?

Things seem to be changing for the better.  Momentum Motorsports out
of Vancouver Canada is getting much more press and they DON'T
advertise in EC.  Now GIAC is getting some press.  Maybe EC figures
they HAVE to start covering the good stuff (from non-advertisers) to
keep up with other mags.

I have it from a reliable source that the companies that do advertise
in EC are quite pissed about this recent change.  Oh well, we can
always dream of an unbiased magazine that tells it like it is!

Cheers,

> Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 14:03:48 -0500
> From: Judson Main <judson@btg.com>
> Subject: Re: [gtivr6list] Re: Garrett hits the big time!
>
> There was a time when VW & Porsche was on the leading edge,
> not the trailing edge, of new products/services/tuners in
> the market.  Considering that Garrett has been around for
> 2 years now, I don't consider that leading edge.
>
> I, along with quite a few others, have been extremely
> disappointed in european car lately.  I've decided also
> not to renew.  They should split up european car into two
> magazines, and spin off the VW portion, esp. since VW is
> getting a broad enough base again for sales.
>
> I understand WHY european car became what it is:  VW sales
> SUCKED during the last 80s/early 90s, and a magazine has
> the right to survive.  But they haven't adapted to the new
> trends.  And while all magazines are in bed with certain
> tuners, the better ones retain some "flexibility" to handle
> the new acts.  I consider european car and their staff to
> be dinosaurs:  they've lost their focus, their drive,
> and their edge.  Maybe, just maybe, this article on Garrett
> is a sign of some renewed energy.  But I'm not holding my
> breath.
>
> Jud.

----
Jeff Newton