Re: Temp Gauges

-----Original Message-----
From: Cabell_T_Treadway@res.raytheon.com
<Cabell_T_Treadway@res.raytheon.com>
To: jettaglx@igtc.com <jettaglx@igtc.com>
Date: Thursday, March 02, 2000 7:39 AM
Subject: Temp Gauges

>I would agree that it's likely an alternator problem.  If the car is
>already running, it's not going to be the battery, although if it is the
>alternator, then it won't charge your battery, and the next time it may not
>start, and if the alternator goes out and you are actually running on
>battery power, you're screwed.

Just to let you know my experience. My original battery took a crap at
around 14k miles and the car left me stranded! It's funny to see someone
push a car in the middle of rush hour traffic in Manhattan withthe alarm
blarin everyone looking at you as though you're trying to steal the car.
Anyway, the symptoms were instrument dash lights lowered in intensity,radio
lost volume, eventually my rpm and mph  needles went to zero and lcd
displays blanked just before the car conked out on me. My alternator checked
out fine all they did was replace the battery and the car fired up right
away.

>The oil temp on the MFA doesn't display until it hits 122 deg F.  I don't
>know what's magic about 122, but my bro-in-law's '91 M5 said to not rev
>above 4k rpm until the oil hit 122.  So I always keep the oil temp on until
>it starts to register and don't crank it until it's warmed up.  Cold oil
>can equal insufficient protection.

122 deg fahrenheit = 50 deg celsius. But i don't know the significance of
that in terms of the oil performance. One thing i've noticed though is that
if you cycle through the MFA displays when you come to the oil temp display
again it'll show a higher temp than before usually about 6 degrees or so.

Btw i'm not a mech engineer but at 122 the oil should do a relatively decent
job but I still wait until it's about 170 before I push it beyond 3k rpm.

>>(I think the guage next to the speedometer is engine temp, not oil
>>temp-- so I hope you weren't talking about that-- but I could be
>>wrong).

Yep it's the coolant temp which hopefully is the same as your engine temp :)

Jose