Re: The VW Jetta GLX Mailing List Digest V4 #56

>         I have a '98 GLX, bought new in June that year.  I've put 52k miles
> on the car so far, and I'm not even two years in.  Since I have a 4 year
> loan on the car, I expect to have some high mileage by the time I'm
> through with the payments.  For all those with 95-96 GLX/GTi's what
> kind of mileage have you been hitting, and how has the car held up
> engine/drivetrain wise over those miles?  I'd like to put some bigger mods
> on the car further down the road (cam, manifold) and I'm wondering if
> such high performance mods will be effective and reliable on an engine
> with 100k+ miles.  Thanks in advance.

I have 86,000 miles on my 96 that I have had for 3½ years.  I have a K&N and Garrett chip just
installed a couple months ago.  I have had no problems with my car at all except for the
notorious coil pack and a wheel bearing went bad.  I just keep changing the oil and filter and
it runs as strong as it did when new. (Actually stronger with the recent mods of course.)  I
drive mostly highway at an average speed of 70-80 and get anywhere from 25-27 mpg, which is
what I always got.  I'm waiting for the 100K mark before doing any major mods.

Nick M
96 Jeta Vr6