Re: Sticking Ignition...

At 11:17 AM 6/17/00 -0700, you wrote:
>On Sat, 17 Jun 2000, Dr. Bob wrote:
>
>Thanks for the info. I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say
>"spray it into your lock using the ignition key to open the lock area"..
>
>Do you mean that I should spray on the key and put it in until things get
>nicely lubed? Or do you mean I should put the key in to move the cylinders
>around and then apply it somehow?

Khan:

Take your key and put just the tip of the key into the lock to open it then
insert the tube and from the back of the lock to the front spray the
cylinders.  Then work your ignition key in and out of the lock to work the
graphite into the lock cylinders.  You may have to use a paper towel to
catch excess fluid coming out of lock so keep one handy.  If your lock is
really gummed up you may have to apply several times and work into the lock.
Once it penetrates the lock you will notice a big difference in how easily
the lock works.  Then periodically when you do service on the car repeat
procedure.

BTW this also works real well on all your door and trunk locks.  I usually
do it every fall before winter which helps prevent lock freeze ups.

If you have a Pep Boys near you I know they have the graphite lock spray in
a little blue can.

I just ran out to the garage to look for the can, it's called "Lock-Ease"
(graphited lock fluid with flexible snorkle) manufactured by American Grease
Stick Company, Muskegon, Michigan, 49443.

Let me know how it works out.

Best regards,

Dr. Bob