Re: Sticking Ignition...

On Sat, 17 Jun 2000, Dr. Bob wrote:

> Khan:
>
> What ever you do - do not use WD40 on your ignition lock on the steering
> wheel.  WD40 will eventually gum up your lock cylinder pins, which is
> probably the problem your having now. If you spray WD40 into a lock it will
> appear to work better better it will attract more dirt particles into the
> lock mechanism.  What you should do is get a good quality graphite based
> lock lubercant and spray it into your lock using the ignition key to open
> the lock area.

Thanks for the info. I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say
"spray it into your lock using the ignition key to open the lock area"..

Do you mean that I should spray on the key and put it in until things get
nicely lubed? Or do you mean I should put the key in to move the cylinders
around and then apply it somehow?

> Spray the cleaner lubricant into your lock using a very small
> straw like tube. Make sure to work the lubercant into the lock cylinders by
> drawing the key in and out of the lock cylinder.  Also periodically clean
> your ignition key - make sure its clean because some times it will collect
> dirt which will be deposited into the cylinder of the lock. WD40 is a useful
> product just don't use it in locks.

Makes sense.

I just want to be sure about the procedure. I'll recap, please correct any
misunderstandings:

- Put they key in the lock?
- Expose the locking mechanism (somehow? take off the plastic manifold
cover?)
- Use a graphite based "intended for locks" spray with a nozzle to direct
the spray onto what exactly?

Thanks for the info.

-Khan