Re: The VW Jetta GLX Mailing List Digest V4 #136

> Dear All,
>
> What type of coolant charge do our cars use?
>
> Is it the R-134 or the R-12?
>
> Has anyone recharged their AC system themselves? If so, how easy or hard
> was it?

Its R-134, if its an A3 or later, which I assume you have.

Its pretty easy to charge.  You'll need 2-3 cans and also the hookups.  You can
buy the hookup kit from most auto part stores.  Its basically just the hoses,
fittings and valves needed to hook up to the can and hook up to the AC system.
Then you open the valve and let the stuff in.  You have to have the engine
running with the AC turned on full.

Of course, if you have a leak, you will run out again.  The cans run about $6 a
piece and I think the hookup is about $30-$40.

Nick M
96 Jetta VR6