Re: saw something at lunch

>Oh boy, here we go again.

Since you asked, here's my take on European rice:

>Rice: also a European product!
>
>In Europe, there are five rice-producing countries: Italy, Spain,
>France, Portugal, and Greece. In 1992/93 (latest available European
>statistics), 62% of the production came from Italy (Piemont), around
>18% from Spain (Andalusia and Murcia), 6% each from France
>(Camargue) and Portugal, and 8% from Greece. In 1994, European
>production satisfied approximately 60 % of EU demand. At present,
>the production of long grain Indica rice is insufficient, whereas
>there is a surplus of round grain Japonica. This latter is almost
>exclusively of Italian origin and is exported. 30% of the deficiency
>of long grain rice is imported from the USA (accounting for some 15%
>of their exports), 20% from Thailand, 7% from India and Pakistan and
>33% from the ACP countries and the Dutch Antilles. Between 1990 and
>1994, 4.7% of all imports were destined for
>the EU.
>SOURCE: http://www.web.net/fairtrade/fairtrade/fair6910.html

Stay tuned for my thesis on the origins of rice. My paper will be called:

The Origins of Rice
The Correlations Between The Proportion of the National Origins of
Worldwide Rice Production and the Proportion of the Nationality of
Tricked Out Consumer Vehicles

--

Khan Klatt                                         khan@mediaaccess.com

Media Access Internet Solutions, Inc.		      888.750.0777 tel
http://www.mediaaccess.com			      425.519.3741 fax