Re: VR4

At 10:31 PM -0500 2/23/2000, Nick & Theresa Mascari wrote:
Actually, VW IS developing a vr4 and a vr8.
european car a few months back did a whole story on VWs new engine developments.
Among the concepts is the previously mentioned W12, which is a new block with 2 VR6 heads.
Supposedly the VR8 will be put in the Passat in the future.
If interested I could dig it up and tell which issue it was.

Of course, the poser with a VR4 sticker is just that, but I thought I'd throw the info out there.

Also, somebody mentioned a group purchase. I would be interested in going in on one.
I want to buy a set of Bilstein sports and sport springs.

One more thing, anybody know of a rear stressbar out there that will fit our A3 Jettas?

Nick M
96 Jetta VR6 - Garrett v.11 - K&N - Eibach front stressbar

OK, I had to look up this "VR4" business, because for the ***LIFE*** of me, I couldn't ever imagine anyone producing a VR4-- there is no advantage -- or very little advantage -- to produce a VR4, when an inline 4 would do just as well.

But, I figured out why they'd do that, but before I get to the punch line, in my search of VR4 on the net, I came across the following:

Here is a poser: <http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Dojo/1021/duncancar2.html>

Another poser who has a VR4 sticker on his [blink]16v[/blink] GTI:
<http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/5508/>

OK, now that I broke your heart with those, this is what I found on a page that was talking about the W12 sport coupe concept that VW announced a while back, on a page in German (thanks, Babelfish!):

Smaller, similar engines to the W12 are possible. A VR5 five cylinder is offered already, from which a W10 10 cylinder motor could be built. And, from a VR4 powerplant, a W8 engine could be likewise made.

However, this page made no claims as to being an official source, nor did it actually cite any reliable rumors.

So, the bottom line is, that VW could produce a VR4 for the sole sake of putting two in one chassis as a W8 engine, although there is no evidence that they are seriously considering this, or if they have they have been considering it (or have already dismissed it) well over a year ago.

-Khan

Khan Klatt khan@mediaaccess.com

Media Access Internet Solutions, Inc. 888.750.0777 tel
http://www.mediaaccess.com 425.519.3741 fax