Re: Check Engine Light

The check engine light or (MIL from the VW owner's manual) goes on when
there is something wrong with emissions system.  Unfortunatly that narrows
down nothing. The thing about the gas cap is true and is also very common
when it comes to VWs. So long as the light does not blink you should be ok
to drive (but not push your engine) until someone can pull the code from the
ECU.  Mine went on causing my dealer to replace the ECU.  Two weeks later it
went on again and they replaced my what they called "something with the
oxygen".  (I'm still trying to figure out what they ment by that.  Anyway,
it could be nothing but have it checked out.  If it does start to blink,
know that there is a problem with you cat and call the dealer.

-Brian
'00 Jetta VR6