Synthetic?

When I was at Kragen this weekend picking up some new wipers I asked
the guys there about synthetic vs. dino oil.  They said as long as I
haven't hit 45,000 yet I could switch.

Right now I'm at 46,000 (like 46,060 or something...just got home) and
am wondering...do you think it's too late?  And is it worth it?  I change
the oil religiously, and I'm wondering if the extra cost is worth it.  I
just had the minor service performed at New Dimensions last wednesday, so
it's not like I'm due any time soon. :-)

I'd appreciate any advice, especially from folks who have made the change
late in the game.

Thanks,
John

--