Re: radio wont come on

At 05:23 PM 2/6/00 EST, you wrote:
>    During the snow storm, my battery died, and we had to jump start the
>Jetta. While driving it around to charge the battery, I didn't try to turn on
>the radio. The next day on the way to work, the radio wouldn't come on, and I
>thought it was the security code thing. The intructions said it is supposed
>to flash "SAFE" with the radio knob turned to on. Well, it isn't flashing
>anything, and I noticed the red security light isn't blinking. I changed the
>fuse.... Still nothing. Am I gonna have to take it to the mechanic so they
>can charge me $50 to flip a switch or something equally simple and medial?
>Anybody know what could be wrong with my radio?
>
>Angela
>'95 Red GLX 5spd. ~aka~ Fernando

When your car lost power from the battery it goes into a lock mode.
Look in your manual for the procedure to unlock the radio. When you
bought your car they should have given you a code to enter into the
radio to unlock.  If you continuely try to turn it on without decode
it will lock up.  You will have to drive the car for a while with the radio
on for some time (I believe it takes 1/2 hour to 1 hour) before you
can try and re-enter the security code. Check your manual it explains
the whole procedure.   If you continuely turn the radio on without entering
the security code after the third time it will lock up and you will have
to bring the radio into a VW dealer to unlock it.

There is another way to unlock the radio but I will not get into it here
because it involves opening up the radio and finding the security chip
and disabling it. But that is to complex a procedure for an email unless
your a person who works on CCA's.

Dr. Bob