Re: Lock Problem???

At 9:56 AM -0500 2/6/2000, Cabrio2NV@aol.com wrote:
>Hey Guys & Girls....
>
>Last Night i went out and when i went to lock my car doors only the drives
>side locked and the motor for the central locking kept running.  Any idea on
>how to fix this?  I would bet its a leak in the system, but how do i find out
>where it is leaking at so it can be fixed?

I retrofitted several cars with the vacuum lock for their locking gas
door (many Jettas didn't come with a locking gas door, so I helped
retrofit the system to my car and several others).

The system that failed most often in our upgrades was the actual
locking pin for the gas door. The plastic would get brittle, and
eventually the plastic air dam would break, causing a leak.

You might try checking that out. Basically, pull away the carpeting
from the trunk near the gas door, and hit your lock/unlock key on
your key-fob and listen for the sound of rushing air.

When you find the source of the leak, you have two options:

quick fix: Remove the pin for the gas door (leaving it unlocked) and
put a plug (you can find vacuum tubing plugs at your local car parts
store, I found some at Schucks) into the hose until you can get a
functional pin

fix: Get a replacement pin for your gas door without a busted air bladder.

It might not be the air bladder on the gas door lock, but if you can
isolate the leak, in the system, you can plug it with one of those
vacuum plugs until you get the replacement parts.

Hope that helps.

-K

Khan Klatt                                         khan@mediaaccess.com

Media Access Internet Solutions, Inc.		      888.750.0777 tel
http://www.mediaaccess.com			      425.519.3741 fax