auto tranny concern

All,

My brother, who is not fortunate enough to have a five on the floor, is
having difficulty with his auto tranny.

He says that when on the highway at higher speeds, if forced to slow down by
traffic or bad drivers, the car is whacked out when asked to accelerate to
resume its previous speed. The engine will rev up really high without
shifting. Apparently if the revs are allowed to drop for awhile, then called
back into action, the car will shift.

I am not that good w/ autos, since I've never owned one. Is it a torque
converter issue? Other ideas? Please advise as you can.

V/R,
DJ