-----Original Message-----
From: jettaglx-Digest-Owner@igtc.com
[mailto:jettaglx-Digest-Owner@igtc.com]
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2000 12:53 PM
To: jettaglx-Digest@igtc.com

The VW Jetta GLX Mailing List Digest
 Friday, December 1 2000 Volume 04 : Number 271

In this issue:

	Replacing brake rotors and pads at the same time?
	Re: Replacing brake rotors and pads at the same time?
	Re: Heated Seats..

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:05:35 -0800
From: "Darren Gibbons" <dgibbons@openroad.ca>
Subject: Replacing brake rotors and pads at the same time?

Hi all,

I recently took my '97 GLX in to the dealership to get the rear brakes
done -- the pads were at 95%.  As far as I know, this is the first time the
pads have been replaced.

The dealership insisted that the rotors had to be replaced at the same time,
as they are considered a "consumable", just as brake pads are.  I've worked
on many cars previously, and assuming the rotors were still within spec
would just machine them straight again and reuse them.

Can anyone back this up?  I've already had the work done, but I was
wondering for the future if I should move to either a softer pad, or a
denser rotor to avoid having to replace them on a regular basis.  Or am I
better off with the stock rotor/pad?

I'm not autocrossing the car, but good braking is obviously important to me.

Darren.