RE: Riceboy sighting...

What is with this list lately? We are starting to end up like the GTI list!

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrea [mailto:app8@po.cwru.edu]
Sent: April 28, 2000 2:45 PM
To: jettaglx@igtc.com
Subject: RE: Riceboy sighting...

never seen that phrase in reference to people who drive pimped out cars
before.  It did not offend me personally, I just thought the term
inappropriate.  In regards to some of your specific points:

"I am technically an Asian American myself (you don't get the name "Khan"
typically otherwise), and think that having a hissy over the term
"riceboy" or "riceburner" is mental energy best spent considering how to
tastefully get HP out of your car."

	- I am also in fact Asian American, and I do not consider mentioning
the
	inappropriateness of a certain phrase as a "hissy".

"If you want to call german cars "weinerburners" or call Volvo's
"iceberg-mobiles", or French cars "baguette-buggies", by all means do so.
It is a FACT that Germany is known for their sausage, that Sweden is a
northern European country with significant ice and snow, and that France
is the origin of French bread that they call baguettes."

	- Notice that you don't call the cars "riceburners" or
"rice-mobiles" or
"rice-
	buggies".  You call them riceBOYS.

a) People who use the term are not rascist.
b) It is not a racial insult.

	- You may not mean it as an insult but who are you to say that
people
won't take 	it as one.  There are other opinions in the world besides
your
obviously all-
	knowing one.

c) It does draw upon stereotypes, yes, but then so do a lot of things.

	- So all those stereotypes are fine since everyone thinks them
anyway?
You're an
	original thinker.

f) I'm sorry if your sensibilities were offended

	- My sensibilities were not offended, I just felt the term was
inappropriate.
	The fact that you don't see that makes you offend me.

g) I am unwilling to refer to that kind of car in any other term other
than "rice". That is my right as free speech, and will continue to do so
at this, or any time in the future.

	- Well, you can obviously say what you want, but what you say shows
who
you are.
	I don't think that you're a bigot.  But, I think, at this point, a
person
of your
	age since I assume you're old enough to drive, would understand if a
term is
	inappropriate or not, regardless if your intentions are harmful or
not.

The fact that you got so bothered about this issue shows that you obviously
know the possible racial implications that your chosen term has, so, maybe
you should think again about it.