RE: I can no longer drive my car the same

Unfortunately, I agree with the original poster that the A3's shortcomings
have gotten the best of me as well.  The loud road noise at highway speeds,
relatively poor mpg, lack of headroom, and uncomfortable seats are just too
annoying for the 1.5-2 hrs per day I spend in this car.  I'm currently
leaning toward a BMW product as well, though my exact choice is still
undecided.  (A Chrysler 300M is a damned nice car at or below the same price

point, its just a bigger car than I need).

As I hashed this out with a friend of mine last night, the BMW offers the
advantage of being modifiable, which is a key factor in whatever vehicular
choice I make.  That's the reason I got into a Jetta in the first place.
I found plenty of upgrade options, and hoping to stay with the car for
5 yrs or so, the money "wasted" on the upgrades would provide plenty of
grin-factor time to justify the cost.

My delay in purchasing is just a matter of wanting to get some amount of
equity in my current vehicle, since I've only owned it for 12 months.  I
can afford to make the change, I simply don't want to.  Likely I will
hold for another year, though my wife and I tossed around buying all
new cars (a new SUV for her (maybe an X5?), and a new truck and sedan
for me) for the fun of it this weekend, so we'll see.

On the comment about BMW owners, my wife and I are former BMW 525 owners
(now have GMC Suburban instead), and I can attest that we are not snobs.
I'm former trailer trash, and having lived too many years in an 18.5 x 6
ft box with 5 people, I don't think any car that I may be able to buy in
the future will suddenly make me a snob.  In fact, quite the contrary.
I feel very fortunate to be able to afford such an extravagance, in contrast
to my meager beginnings.

Steve Belt - Scotts, AZ
1998 VW Jetta GLX