Re: Reminder - Keep Your Maintanence Records!

At 3:41 PM -0700 04/06/2000, Jeff Newton wrote:
>This story has a Canadian slant but keep in mind this can apply to
>making a warranty claim at the dealer.
>
>The chain tensioners were making noise so I told the dealer I wanted
>them replaced under my extended warranty (General Electric).
>
>Since only the free maintanence was performed at the dealer, the
>extended warranty company wanted all oil change records beyond that
>time.  I provided them and the company had the gall to question the
>validity of the invoices from my local tuner and wanted copies of the
>visa/ATM receipts for the work - (the dealer had bent back the
>receipts to photocopy the invoices for faxing).
>
>In the end, they are covering the extensive repair bill.  Being made
>to feel like I was "cheating" the warranty company was nothing
>compared to being denied the warranty claim.
>
>Keep good records, everyone!

That's definitely good advice. I have every single receipt for my car
(other than things like gas, car washes, washing mitts, etc.)... and
99.9% of those receipts are from the same dealership (makes it easy
to call them up when someone has run into the same problem I had--
like my sunroof ;).. the only material expense on my car that didn't
come from the dealership were my tires...

I bought aftermarket struts (from Jeff incidentally) as well as
springs and brake pads... but they were installed by the dealer.

In other words, I have 100% of the receipts of what has happened to
my car since I drove it off the lot. I'm sure that will help put any
potential buyer's mind at ease as well... along with the extended
warranty I have. :)

-Khan

Khan Klatt                                         khan@mediaaccess.com

Media Access Internet Solutions, Inc.		      888.750.0777 tel
http://www.mediaaccess.com			      425.519.3741 fax