RE: need pricing on clutch

Chadwick-

You should replace the clutch, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing
together.  The bearing or pressure plate may be fine today, but while
you're in there its a lot cheaper to do it, then to have to get in
there again a year from now.

I assume the clutch is hydrolic driven.  If so, I'd recommend
having the hydrolics bled and restocked with fresh fluid.  There's
a chance they may have to break into the line anyway during the
install, but if they don't its something that is a bit easier while
they are in there (though not significantly).

Also, I'd check the CV joints/boots.  They'll have to break into this
part of the system as well, so it may be a good time to have some
preventative maintenance done here.

I've replaced 3 clutches over the past 15 yrs.  Its really not
_hard_ to do, but it does take a while.  The third one only
took ~10 hours from start to finish, for a Honda Accord.  That was
done with 100% hand tools in the driveway.  Today I could get it
done in considerably less time...thanks to having compressed air!

Since I've done the clutches myself, I was never out more than $100
for the 3 that I did (clutch+pressure plate+throw-out bearing).
I'd expect to double that for parts from a shop, and then double
that for labor...That is, I'd expect $400-$500.  CV and hydrolic
work would be extra.

Steve Belt - Scotts, AZ
1998 VW Jetta GLX