more on glx purchase

Khan,

Thanks for the info.

For some clarification. If I went with either a new Jetta or GTI with
the 1.8T's, I would be leasing that vehicle.
I do have some mileage concerns with my job or what a possible new job
could be bringing.

As for mods to a 2.0, I wouldn't be looking to modify 2L to try and
squeeze that kinda horsepower. I'd rather spend that kind of money on
another motorcycle right now, but that's for another discussion list.

I'm basically looking at price point monthly between $200-250. I found a
'96 GLX here for $12K with 56K here in the Chicago area. Outside of
that, I'm early into the research. Additionally, I think I can get
dealers to show between $1200-1800 for a trade on my passat. Not sure I
want to deal with selling a 9 year old car with 163K on the odometer.

Anyway, Are there things that I should be looking for though with this
vintage glx. I know some of the early VR6 Corrados were having
headgasket problems? Is this an issue with the GLX's? I did the
headgasket on my Passat twice and am not looking forward to a similiar
problem w/o a warranty again.

Hope that clears up my intentions. BTW, I started out subscribing to
just the digest, so if you want to carbon copy your replys to my address
for quicker responses that would be great.

Thanks again,

Shaun
shaun.sartin@copleypress.com