Re: Stalling

>Hello, I have a 95 glx (83000) and  I too started to
>have a stalling problem a while back. I never found
>out for sure what had caused it. It would happen to me
>when I was getting off the freeway. I would come to
>the first stop and it would just stall. I did notice
>that it would happen more frequent when the tank was
>near the red. I started to think my gas gauge was off.
>The stalling seemed to stop after I did 3 things. 1)
>started buying gas at a different station(super), 2)
>cleaned my K@N filter, 3) ran some injector cleaner
>thru the tank.
>
> PS, I also had a bucking problem once when accelating
>but it turned out to be a loose plug/broken wire.

The dealer claimed that my problem was due to bad spark plug wires and/or
coil packs. Bah. He couldn't reproduce my problem on his own. He sprayed
water on the wires and coil packs, and said that it immediately had
problems, arcing out to ground. The coil, though, is like a light bulb.
It works or it doesn't. You car starts or it doesn't. My car starts.

On the advice of local VW enthusiasts, I replaced the coolant temp.
sensor. So far (only one day has passed), it's been driving smoothly. I'm
hoping that this is the solution, since it was a $10 part an barely
involved an hour's labour on my part (hard part to get to!). I'm going to
give it the 500 mile test. If the problem doesn't reappear by then, then
I'll consider it solved. On the other hand, 80K miles is about right for
plug wires to go. A hundred bucks from the dealer will solve that.
Aftermarket wires aren't worth the higher price. ND quotes $129.95 for
8mm plug wires. The factory wires are 7mm. One millimeter is not going to
make any appreciable difference whatsoever, so why bother?

Anyhow, with a new fuel filter and a new coolant temperature sensor,
hopefully my problem has been solved. Even if not, the car has been
driveable for 2 months like this ... it can go a little bit longer for me
to find out.

I appreciate the reply, though!

-T
'95 GLX, Black on Black, Tighter Front End Edition.

Zip-zap ... zip-zap ... it's Tom ... Tom Boyer ... cyng@lamere.net!
         ... who cares?