Stalling

Folks,

   First of all, let me say that the addition of an upper tie-bar is a
worthwhile mod. My brother got one for me for my birthday, took my car
away for a little while, and returned it to me with the mod installed (I
didn't know what he had gotten for me or was doing to my car). Nice
difference. Stiffer handling in the front end (obviously). Less frame
torque allows for more controlled cornering (feels as though the car is
lighter - less weight to throw around), less torque steer, and, well, the
car goes where you want it to more easily now. Very cool.

   Now the bad news. You may recall that I'd been having a problem of
stuttering or complete loss of power (tachometer falling) under heavy
accelleration (especially in second gear, which for me sees the hardest
accelleration). Well, it still happens, seemingly randomly. A couple
others had had the same symptoms, but I never found out what their cause
was. This has been going on for about 2 months (I work a hell of a lot,
and it's very difficult to be able to schedule a car appointment), so I
know it's not due to water in the tank or bad gas or that sort of thing.
We only recently got a second car, so now I can take it in.

   But now it's been stalling. When the tach comes down (at a stop light
or whatever), about 1 time out of ten it just keeps falling and
bottoms-out. Kaput. Sometimes I catch it, but it pauses as it gets
caught, hesitating noticeably. Not healthy. Really don't know what it
could be. I have new spark plugs in there. The car has 80K miles on it,
and is a '95. Could it be a faulty fuel pump? Idle air stabilizer valve?
Oxy leak? Cloggy fuel filter? Faulty spark plug wires? I have no idea. I
have an appointment, though, on Monday, so hopefully I'll find out. Does
anybody, in the meantime, have any advice to offer? It's really got me
down, as I'm unable to freely enjoy my new birthday gift.

   -T
'95 GLX

Zip-zap ... zip-zap ... it's Tom ... Tom Boyer ... cyng@lamere.net!
         ... who cares?