97 Jetta GLX Coil Pack & Tires

Hey guys (and any gals),

Looking for some advice here.

Just got my wifes 97 Jetta GLX back from the dealer after taking
it in for a check engine condition and rought idle in wet conditions.
The diagnosis is a bad Coil Pack.  It arcs out to ground in wet weather.
The dealer is looking at $420usd installed.  I am looking for advice
about installing myself and any aftermarket sources.  I have already
emailed Mike Potter at www.parts4vws.com.

Also looking for recommendation for replacement tires.  The current
Eagles GA's have finally died.  Last I followed this stuff the Dunlop
SP 4000's were a popular replacement.  Looking for something not full
on performance, decent handling, good wet weather and wear characteristics.
Not concerned about snow performance as I use snows.

Please email me in addition to the list as I am on digest mode.

Thanks,

Warren