RE: insurance

Whether or not he was across double yellows does not impact the fact that
you did not have the right of way. At a stop sign you ALWAYS yield to
traffic already on the road regardless fo whether they are on the wrong side
of it. Only when both ways/sides are clear can you  cross a stop sign. Wanna
know how I know this? My aunt lost a court suit for this very same matter.
She pulled away from a stop sign into the suicide lane at the same time as a
car pulled into the suicide lane from the road. She lost, she did not have
the right of way. It is as simple as that...