RE: Understeer problems

Actually, what you are describing is torque steer. Understeer is when you
turn into a corner and your car doesn't, or doesn't turn as much as you want
(front tires are sliding). Oversteer is when you are cornering and your car
turns a bit more than intended (tail hanging out). As a NASCAR driver said
-- Understeer is when your nose hits the wall, oversteer is when your a**
hits the wall.

As far a handling the torque steer, it is a problem endemic to front wheel
drive cars. Uneven traction between the front tires allows one tire to "pull
ahead" of the other, turning the steering wheel and car. Make sure your
tires are evenly inflated (+- 1/2 PSI or less), at the proper inflation (see
rear passenger door jamb, along the wheel hump), and that your alignment is
correct. Other list members have reported a reduction in understeer by going
with better tires that slip less under acceleration.

On the pricier side, a Quaffe [sic?] differential ~$1200, 4-Motion (4wd &
unavailable), Audi Quattro, or BMW 32-, would also help the problem.

Aside from that, welcome to a major disadvantage of a powerful FWD car.
Rutted roads and loose or slippery surfaces under one wheel can exacerbate
the problem to the extent that the car is difficult to control. Back off of
the gas before this happens.

Tim Irwin
'98 GLX