A3 Tach Problems

I need some help with a problem with my Tach....

This morning I started up the car like always and happened to look at the
tach and it said 3000rpm when the car was at Idle.  I went and gave it some
gas and it pushed it up higher but it took forever for it o fall....and when
it would come down it was still 500-1000rpm higher then it should have been.
I figured screw it cause I had to get to work and when I was driving on the
highway my normal tach at 80mph is 3400, well today my jetta would say about
3800....which I could live with except for the fact that when I give it extra
gas or downshift the tach wouldn't move up until I started to slow back down,
then it would go up.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the hell is wrong?

TIA,
Jeff