Re: Hitches

Sorry I didn't get around to answering this question back in Sept when it
originally came up, but it just so happens I have a hitch on my Jetta.  I
got it from http://www.hitch-web.com.  I had them fax me the instructions
for the three hitches that were available (they can e-mail .pdf's, too) and
went with the Draw-tite.  Well, I originally went with the Reese (the Da'lan
was never in the running), but aside from the nice finish, it wasn't very
well made.  It didn't seem engineered very well, the fit was sloppy, and it
seemed a little flimsy.  I sent it back and got the aforementioned
Draw-tite.  This one fit better (like it was made to "fit into place" as
opposed to the "hold it up so it looks like the ball will clear the bumper
and drill some holes" way) and in fact, seemed a little over engineered, so
much so that I left off the extra bracket that attaches to the tow hook.
Being that I like to get things "just right", I did take a razor blade and
slightly square off the inside edges of the pvc underbody coating so that
the side plates of the hitch fit more snuggly (we're really only talking
about a 1/16" of difference here).  I also needed to nip off a little bit of
the rear lower corner of the left side plate to clear the left tail pipe of
the stock GLX twin tailpipe exhaust (not an issue with the 4cyls).
Finish-wise, it could have been painted better.  Appearance-wise, when
installed, the edge of the receiver doesn't stick out any further than the
lower rear edge of the black part of the bumper.  The bottom of the receiver
(the safety chain loop, actually) hangs about 2" below the bumper, though.
With my stock ride height and people in the back, it scrapes occasionally
when pulling into driveways and such.  Other than that, it is very stealthy.
The bumper doesn't need to be removed or cut, and the 4 necessary holes get
drilled into the under-inside edges of the frame rails.  No holes are
visible from inside the trunk or spare tire well.  I made a receiver plug
using a generic black plastic plug and a NIN emblem, but I've seen others
put rear fogs in them.  I got my wiring adapter and ball from the local
U-haul store.

As for pulling another car over a long distance, that's a bit of a job for a
GLX (2,000 lb towing limit).  I've actually towed a bunch of stuff for over
a total of about 5k miles.  The biggest load was about 1500lbs, and the
Jetta was definitely working.  Besides being very hard on the clutch when
pulling away, the brakes get a workout, too.  1,000 lbs (where the weight
really starts to become noticeable) isn't too bad, though.  Last Summer I
drove about 650 miles from just outside Mobile, AL to Dallas, TX in about 10
hours (I don't live in Dallas, I live in NJ).  I was pulling my trailer and
a motorcycle that I just bought (about 1100lbs total).  I admit I was moving
along pretty well, but I only got 17.4 mpg on that leg of the trip (frequent
gas stops brought the trip avg speed down).  I'd expect about 27 normally.
That should give you some idea of the extra load on the car.  Now, consider
that some of those car-carrying trailer weight 1,000 lbs to start with.  For
towing a car it might be a better idea to borrow your
friend's/neighbor's/brother-in-law's Tahoe.

That said, the GLX seems to make a great tow car (within it limits).  While
my family and friends have had trouble with their
Jeeps/Bronco/Explorer/Bonneville with such things as overheating engines and
transmissions, and trailer weave (towing other trailers, too, besides mine),
the Jetta just cruises along.  I think the low profile tires help with the
weave thing.  It also helps to spend a little time and get the weight
distribution just right.

 -Chris