Please, someone help me out here

I have a couple questions, help on any of them would be greatly appreciated.

1) I found a tube, rubber tube, almost like a vaccuum type tube, totally
busted open near the back of my engine bay.  Back near the shift-link is.  I
don't know what tube it is, and what purpose it serves, but I'm sure it
can't be good.  Does anyone know anything about it?

2) I need to repair some rust on my car, and also fill some holes.  I'm sure
this will take 2 or more different products, but any recommendations on
something good?  I want something that won't be noticeable after a repaint.

3) I wanted to get some cheap winter tires for my stock wheels when I throw
them back on.  I don't want to ruin my good wheels with the salt and all, so
I'm throwing my stock wheels back on, but I need new tires.  I want them
cheap, but I don't want cheap quality.  Any recommendations?

Thanks a bundle.

TJ Lowe
'87 Jetta GL
http://surf.to/thejetta

On the road of life, there are passengers, and there are drivers.  Drivers wanted.
     - Volkswagen of America
FREE Email for ALL! Sign up at http://www.mail.com