Radio install details - long

As promised, here's some more information on my upgraded radio.

The search for a different radio started from day one.  I was
shocked to learn that the head unit was a cassette only system, and
could not be changed to one with an in-dash CD.  The dealer
recommended a changer in the trunk, as the best solution.  My Ram
has a 6 disk changer, located under the driver's seat, and even as
close and "convenient" a location as that is, I still hate it.  I
much prefer having an in-dash system - I spend 1.5 - 2 hrs per day
in my car, and I need real time access to any/all of my CDs.

The dealer offered to match any price I might find at an aftermarket
shop, giving me a few locations they worked with frequently.  Since I
needed window tinting done at the dealer (a throw-in part of the deal)
I thought it would be great to kill two birds with one car drop-off.

I was told that all I would need to purchase is a new head unit -
my speakers could be re-used.  I decided that since I was going to be
spending time/money I might as well add a powered sub to the system.

After three fatal attempts by the dealer to install said system, I
finally did some better research and found people that knew what they
were doing.  It was recommended that if I really wanted an in-dash CD,
I needed to commit to a new head unit, speakers, sub, and amp.  There
is a 2 ohm to 4 ohm converter that would have allow the stock speakers
to "work", but the sound would have been pretty bad (worse than stock).

By this time (it had taken about 2 weeks, thus far) I was driving with
no radio at all, and was about at my wits end.  I needed a system now.

I selected a shop that didn't know too much about my Jetta, but did
have the equipment I wanted (namely an Eclipse head unit) and was
nearby a colleague, so that I could get a lift to work.  After a
survery of my car, the shop recommended 4" coaxes in the dash, and 6"
coaxes in the front and rear doors (all from Boston Acoustics).  They
seemed so sure of themselves that I went along, even though I walked in
asking about component speakers.  They also recommended the Sony Xplod
5-channel over an MTX 5-channel, in large part due to the $250 price
difference.  So the initial setup was underway:  Ecplise 5342R + 2 BA
RX47 (in dash) + 2 BA RM6 (front doors) + 2 BA RX67 (rear doors) +
Sony XM-405EQX + MTX 10" 5000 sub in sealed enclosure (in trunk).

When I returned that evening and listened for the first time, I was truly
astonished.  I couldn't believe how much better the system sounded.

However, after driving the car for ~1 month, however, the limitations of
the system began to get on my nerves.  Clearly the RX47's in the front
were the weak link, blowing out distoration at only moderately loud
listening levels.  I decided I had to have component speakers installed.

The shop took my RX47 and RX67's in trade, at a full refund, and upgraded
the front speakers to Boston Acoustics ProSeries 6.5's.  I moved the RM6's
to the rear doors.  The whole deal cost me ~$200.

At this point I'm now quite pleased with my setup.  In normal operation,
I drive the head unit pretty hard, (typical setting is 60, max is 80) due
to the relatively weak power from the amp.  Perceptible distortion does set
in before my ears give out, but I rarely have a desire to run it that loud.
However, now that the weather has cooled here in Phoenix (high of only 94
today), I'm inclined to drive with the windows down, adding to my desire
for a bit more power.  ;-)

In the future I will likely upgrade the amp and rear sub.  The MTX 7000
sub is appealing.  As well, Sony now has a bigger 5-channel amp (XM-7557)
that offers 4x75 + 1x220 (4 ohm, 14.4v ratings).  This amp would be just
enough to drive one MTX 7000 sub (which likes LOTS of power), and reduce
the load on my head unit, and is available for $800.  It would provide
close, but not quite, what an MTX 4300x (4x85) and MTX 275x (1x280)
combination would offer, at a minor ~$150 discount (and the red chassis
matches my red Jetta nicely).  We'll see.  The MTX Blue Thunder amps also
look very appealing.

You may be asking what the damage was:

	Eclipse 5342R      $379    (marked down from $449)
	BA ProSeries 6.5   $479    (tweeters in dash, woofer in the door)
	BA RM6		 $279    (in the rear doors)
	Sony XM-405EQX	 $399    (in the trunk)
	MTX Enclosed 10"   $179    (in the trunk)

	Total			$1715 + tax (7.2%)

This was handled by Kustom Kar Sound, a local chain of several stores in
the Phoenix area.  I've visited 3 of their stores, and there is a wide
variation in installer experience/quality between the stores.  I probably
chose their worst store for much of the work that was done.

BTW, this is the first serious radio upgrade I've ever done on a car.  As
such, I can't honestly compare my setup with any other setup.

Steve Belt - Scotts, AZ
1998 VW Jetta GLX