Resetting the Check Engine light

After someone borrowed my 98 Jetta and filled up the gas tank, he neglected
to tighten the gas cap all the way.  That resulted in the OBDII to set the
Check Engine light.  I got it to go away by filling up the tank again, but
now the Check Engine light comes on and off intermittenly.  Is there a way
to reset it?  I've tried disconnecting the battery but that did not
work(although I may not have given it enough time).  Thanks in advance