Re: Notchy shifter

At 7:54 AM -0700 10/20/99, David Herlihy wrote:
>I had always heard that the VR6 setup had a notchy
>shifter, but I was wondering when too notchy can be a
>problem? Here's the scenario. When sitting in traffic
>on occasions getting first gear can be a real pain. I
>might not be pushing it all the way over to the side
>so that might be it, but it is inherently difficult to
>get. This doesn't happen all the time either. Seem
>that when it is warmed up (driving a lot in city
>traffic, if you live in DC you'll understand this
>part)the thing shifts smooth as can be. Is this a
>question of tranny temp I'm looking at or just getting
>used to a different setup? The shifter doesn't wobble
>that much in gear and feels pretty tight. Getting
>other gears are not a problem. My Peugeot would do
>this also from time to time and that was the smoothest
>shifting car that I have ever driven. That I knew was
>based on engine/tranny temp.
>
>One last note. When I can't grab first gear on the
>first attempt I dump it down into second and then go
>up and it slots right in.

Maybe I'm just dreaming, but I have associated this problem with the
fact that if you're moving (practically at ALL) you will have a hard
time shifting into 1st gear, regardless of whether you have the
clutch in or not.

So I do exactly what you do, I first shift into second before I shift
into 1st (without letting out the clutch)

-Khan