RE: Strut Bearings

The gap is normal, the movement is probably not.  If you want to know for
sure, jack up the front of the car so that both front tires are off the
ground.  Then grab each strut, & try to shake it back & forth.  If the strut
bearing is as worn as it sounds, you should feel substantial play when you
shake the strut.

Either way, if your going to have the suspension apart, it would be a great
time to replace the strut bearings even if they are serviceable.

Michael Keith
Pasadena, TX
'98 Jetta GLX
'85 Golf SCCA ITB