non Jetta......long

Not a Jetta but might be related.......have an 84 Rabbit GTI........cuts out
on right turns like it runs out of fuel........maybe someone on the list has
had their Jetta or Rabbit do the same.  A few months ago, when the fuel
gauge was down to near the reserve mark it would cut out and quit on right
turns.   after straightening out it would start and run fine.  then it
started doing the same thing when the gauge was only down to half a tank.
now when I fill the tank it is fine for the first 50-75 miles, then it will
do the quitting on right turns.  when this first started, and doing it only
with a small amount of fuel in the tank, it acted like on right turns the
fuel was sloshing away from the tank outlet pipe..........but not when I
still have maybe 8 gallons........it couldn't slosh that much!  basically
the lower the fuel level gets the worse the problem and the easier it cuts
out.   at 8 gallons or so I have to corner fairly hard to make it cut
out......at a half tank normal cornering will cut out.......down close to
the reserve I can take a right turn at 4 or 5 miles and hour and it will cut
out........just before it quits the fuel pump whines very loud........like
it was running dry of fuel.  there has to be some other "weird" thing
causing this..........maybe not lack of fuel at the pump but directly
related.
anyone come across something like this?

any and all help or ideas much appreciated:-))

John Gourley
84 Rabbit GTI