backfire, 1-2 upshift

    Gennulmen, (and ladies)

The scene: '98 JettaGLX, 19k miles, Garrett v.10, K&N, mod airbox, premium
fuel.

Occasionally, and only on the 1-2 upshift, I'm getting a backfire into the
airbox (or so it sounds) as I engage the clutch and give it power. I thought
that it was perhaps a temperature related thing (engine not up to temp) or a
fuel related problem (was running CITGO premium, but switched to Amoco
premium), alas, it did it again yesterday, engine temp good, oil at 206
deg., Amoco in the tank. I had asked Todd for his ideas, and he suggested
that I change fuel (before I had) but the pop goes on. Any ideas? Is it
maybe the reformulated fuel that the VR6 just doesn't like? I'm starting to
get  a little worried about this.....

Dave
as above
pop-goes-the-weasel edition