RE: Idle problems

Were you told this by a reputable mechanic or by someone that you trust who is
knowledgeable?  The reason I ask is that a non-trustworthy mechanic could be
feeding you a line of b.s. about the cat. & the fuel pump.

To verify if this is the case, start with the simple & cheap items that you
can do yourself.  Clean your throttle body & change your fuel filter.  Each is
cheap to do & should be done on a regular basis anyway.  If the car doesn't
run better after that, move on to more costly repairs.

By the way, I would find it hard to believe that your fuel pump is bad.  As a
general rule, the car won't run at all with a bad fuel pump.  However, don't
take my word on that because I'm not a professional.

Michael Keith
Pasadena, TX
'98 Jetta GLX
'85 Golf SCCA ITB