Re: (Bose headunit replacement)

"geO" wrote:

> The Bose system is amped at speaker and is not compatible
> with other head units unless you replace the speakers as
> well.

Buzzzzz. Thanks for playing, geO. Sorry to be brusque, but yours is
a popular misunderstanding.

In fact, the GLX Bose system amplifier is outboard of the head unit
but not at the speakers (in geO's defense, many other Bose OEM
systems do have individual amps at the speakers).  Look under the
rear deck for the GLX OEM Bose amp.

Also, the Bose system in the GLX is very compatible with other head
units.  See the extensive instructions written by yours truly
submitted a few weeks ago.  I find the list server at ListQuest
(http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=glx) to be most helpful
to get past issues of this mailing list.

> And the Bose system does sound REALLY good compared to
> the "Premium" one I had in my '98 Jetta GT.

Thas' a fact -- especially when it has a decent head unit driving
it. The difference is night and day.  My Blau makes me smile every
time I crank it up.

Willie Anderson
'98 GLX - Porcelain Blue / Biber Beige
Blaupunkt Sydney w/ 10 CD changer / Bose system
Locking gas door
Next mods: intermittent wipers
           Euro lights with rear fogs
           winking front quarterpanel courtesy lights
           (I like the cosmetic stuff -- so sue me)