RE: Poly/Delrin Shock Bushings?

I'm not sure how relevant it is, but I am about to put delrin bushings in my
race car.  I'll report back after I test 'em out.  They were $70.00 from OPM,
& you can get the same product for the same price from BSI Racing as well.
Your other two options would be steel bearings from Shine which cost $185.00
or polyurethane bushings for about $30.00 (can't remember who sells them).

For a street car, I would recommend the poly bushings.  The steel bearings are
strictly for racing applications.  I went with the delrin because of cost.
However, delrin is a very hard material, & I doubt that it has any more play
in it than the steel bearings.  It cannot be molded.  It has to be machined
like steel.  On the other hand, the poly bushings are significantly stiffer
than stock, but polyurethane is still a rubber type product.  Therefore, it
shouldn't significantly degrade ride quality.

On a related note, I thought I would give you some FYI's on installing these
things in case you're planning on installing them yourself.  The manual states
that you need a press.  However, I am going to use a gear puller from Sears
($30.00) & the correct size steel disc from a bearing race drive set to press
the old ones out.  I tried this on a spare axle that I have, & it worked
fairly well.  A hammer & a block of wood should drive the new ones in just
fine.  Also, if you go with the poly bushings, you will have to use a
protractor to align the bracket at a 12 degree angle to the trailing arm.  If
this is not done, the bushing will twist when you lower the car, & that may
ruin it.  If you go with the delrin, this will not be necessary because the
delrin is designed like a bearing.  Also, the bolt holes for the bracket are
slotted; so be sure to center them when reinstalling the axle.

Good luck!

Michael Keith
'98 Jetta GLX
'85 Golf SCCA ITB