Does Filter Size Matter?

I just upgraded K&N open elements from a smaller one (the 6 inch) to the
bigger filter ( i believe its the 9 inch).  I don't know what the technical
numbers for these, but the 6 inch is a universal, and the 9 inch was made for
a mustang 5.0.  The 9 incher fits tightly in my Airbath setup.

Ok, the point.
The bigger filter changed the tone of the sound totally.  It also robbed me
of some power it seems.   Has anyone done this and noticed any power loss?
Its crazy, because it seems that the laws of physics would have it that the
more surface area that it has to suck from = more air flow = at least equal
power.

Matt
95 Vento VR6 "Big ass filter" edition