taillight woes & 96.5?!?!?

I have a  small crack in my rt rear taillight housing (now filled w/ water), and sealing it w/ clear silicone has been unsuccessful. I need to buy a new one, but I was wondering... before I order it from the dealership, is there somewhere else I can get one, maybe cheaper? Also, I know that the   www.parts4vws.com.   sight has oil filters listed both for pre- and post- 96.5 VR6 equipped A3s. How do I find out if I am before or after the 96.5 cut-off?

-ENS D.J. Bergesen
Student Naval Aviator
djbergesen@dotstar.net
96 Vento GLX VR6 blk/blk