Re: First Oil Change

Hi Bill,
      Get a Channel-Lock pliers. It works good for me on all my oil
filters, if you have enough room to swing it.

Dave Michalski, DVM
Hickory Hills, IL
'95 VW GTI VR6 (Flash Red)
73 de WB9YSJ

-- BEGIN included message

Ok,

    So we took VW up on their offer, and got the 5K service for free.  We were
do for the 10K service last weekend, but I needed the car, so I agreed to do the
oil change myself.  So yesterday was the day.  Drive the car up on the ramps,
and WOW, what a nicely packed undercarriage.  Why can't America build anything
with this much thought put into it.

    Start up my VFR, head out to K-Mart for a filter, and can any of you guess
what I found??   Nothing.!  No mention of the VR6 anywhere in the Fram, Mobil 1,
AC Delco, or Quaker State catalogs.  So off to two more auto stores in my area
and still nothing.  So ... I figured I'd pay a premium, but ohh well, I headed
off to the local VW dealer.  Sure enough, they have the filter.   Weird
cartridge thingy, never seen one before, but it's pretty obvious how it works.
"How much?" .... "$17.95, wow, I thought it was more expensive than that."  ....
"MORE EXPENSIVE!!!"

    Get back home, drop the drain plug, find the filter canister, and drop it's
drain plug.  Let me take the time to note how wonderful it is it have a drain
plug on the filter housing.  Made it a no spills event and just plain looks
cool.  Had to go out to another parts store to get a strap device that would
wrap around the filter housing cap to help loosen it ... but after that,
everything went very smooth.  So now for my questions:

1)  The strap sucked, and I was scared of crushing the cap, so there MUST be a
special VW tool to remove this ... anyone know of any non-OEM suppliers of such
a tool, or if not, how much the VW one will cost?

2)  Do I have to knock-off a deli everytime I wanna buy a filter??  Or does
anyone else make one?

Bill
'98 GLX

David Bergesen wrote:

> >What's it gonna take to put this world back together?
> >Ryan Roossinck
>
> Parents raising their children better. Maybe a little care and attention
> would do the trick. I was a latch-key kid for 6.5 years when both my parents
> had to work, but all the time they spent with my brother and me was quality
> sh*t. Let's not blame video games, movies, or TV. Let's face the music. It's
> 90% the parents' fault.
> Just my opinion.
>
> -ENS D.J. Bergesen
> Student Naval Aviator