black bar on underside

VR6'ers,
Does anyone know what the black bar that goes across the underside of the
car and under the exhaust does???  It looks like my exhaust clamps might be
bumping into it because there appears to be a worn spot on it.  Anyone know
what would happen if I removed it??  The only thing that I could think of
that it does would be structural rigidity, but it seems kind of small for
that.  I know that my old Jetta did not have them (well, maybe it did at one
time, but not while I had it) and there was no problem there.
Thanks,
Chris
'97 Jetta GLX VR6
  "What the hell does that piece do" Edition