Re: [gti-vr6] Strut Tower Tops

Chris Phillips wrote:

> VR6'ers,
> I have recently had the H&R Sport/Bilstein Sport setup installed.  I had a
> local shop do the work.  Today I noticed that the tops of the strut towers
> seem to have a space beneath them.  The space is about 1/2" all around.
> When I turn the wheels, the tops move forward and backwards.  Is this normal
> (both the space and the movement)???  I never noticed it with the OEM
> suspension, but that does not mean that it was not there.
> Also, before the car warms up and whenever I go over a large bump (i.e.
> speed bump), there is a noise coming from the front left strut/spring area.
> It sounds like, umm, almost like a squeaky bed spring, but much lower in
> tone.  Any ideas?

I have he same gap you're describing, I'm not sure it was there before I
had my suspension replaced.  My setup is NS Sports/Bilstein Sports.  I'm
not sure if mine move when I turn the wheels but I'll check it.  I too
hear the same noise coming from the front.  BTW, that's an excellent
description of the noise, thanks, I couldn't come up with one.
Kevin Nelander mentioned the strut tower bearings, he said they
should've been replaced the same time the struts were.  Were yours
replaced? I don't think mine were.  I'm going to go to my local tuner to
find out and maybe replace my springs with the race springs.  Anyone
running race springs with Bilsteins Sports? Any comments, NS vs H&R?
I've driven a car with NS race/Konis (thanks Jeff) and thought it was a
bit too firm, but I don't mind now, specially after driving my friend's
996, man was that car firm.  What a car!  One day...

TIA,

Jamal
1998 GTI-VR6